As you may be aware, GroupMap is currently hosted on the Salesforce Heroku Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS), which in turn is hosted on Amazon Web Services (AWS) Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) in Amazon’s Northern Virginia (us-east-1) and Frankfurt (eu-central-1) data-centres.
While the Heroku platform has served us well over the last few years, GroupMap has reached a point where we’ve outgrown it and we are looking to set ourselves up for future growth and to improve our product services and security.
Migrating to AWS Native ServicesWe are planning to transition off Heroku to AWS-equivalent native service platforms (within the same data centres) in late December 2022. This migration will be transparent to you, although we hope you notice the improved performance and availability. As part of this migration:
- Heroku Server Dynos will be replaced with AWS ECS Fargate services
- Heroku Postgres will be migrated to AWS RDS Aurora Postgres clusters
- Heroku Redis will be migrated to AWS Elasticache clusters
- Sqreen (DataDog Inc.) Web Application Firewall will be replaced with AWS Web Application Firewall
- ImgIX (Zebrafish Labs Inc.) Asset resizing and CDN will be replaced with AWS S3 + AWS CloudFront
Over the last two months we’ve been shaking and performance testing the new AWS environments in parallel to maintaining our existing Heroku environments.
We’d like to thank our friends at Mechanical Rock Inc and Amazon Web Services for their assistance in the planning and implementation of this migration!
Migration will be completed outside of business hours over a weekend, and will involve approximately 2 hours of planned downtime as data is transferred. Advance notice of this scheduled outage will be sent to account owners 48 hours prior to commencement.